OPEN CIRCUIT DECO 40 DIVER
Getting the ‘thumbs up’ sign is probably the worst signal any diver can receive since it signifies that the dive has ended. Extending time, and sometimes depth, in water is probably every diver’s desire.
RAID OC Deco 40 Diver
forms a bridge between recreational and technical diving. The problem with technical diving is that it has marketed and positioned itself as unattainable for the average diver. Divers are led to believe they must have superhuman strength and mental agility to participate in a technical diving program. Of course, here at RAID we believe this is simply not the case, but believing and acting are two totally different things.
The RAID OC Deco 40 diver is aimed squarely at the recreational market and not at the technical market. The program is ideally completed using modified recreational equipment. RAID Deco 50 Instructors may teach the RAID OC Deco 40 Diver using twinsets, and OC Deco 40 instructors certified as Sidemount Instructors may teach the program in sidemount configuration. The RAID OC Deco 40 Divers makes an ideal entry-level decompression program, but it must be noted that it has been created with the recreational diver in mind.
The RAID OC Deco 40 Diver awards divers multiple certifications in one. The program overview is as follows:
Being aimed directly at the recreational diver, participants may complete the course using traditional recreational equipment. The only provision is that the BCD or wing needs to have D-Rings capable of attaching a side slung cylinder.
- Divers must fit a 2 metre primary regulator hose.
- Dive to a maximum depth of 40 metres.
- Complete a maximum of 10 minutes’ decompression.
- When completing a decompression dive, divers must use a bailout gas.
- This bailout gas must be safe to breathe at the maximum operating depth of the decompression dive.
- If this gas is different from the primary breathing gas, divers must use a multi-gas switch computer and perform no-decompression dives.
- Certify to use up to 100% oxygen to extend their no decompression dive times by using multi-level gas switch dive procedures.
- Bottom or back gas maximum PO2 is 1.4 and a maximum of 1.6 (1.4 to 1.5 recommended) for extended no stop diving.
- When divers are switching gases, they must use a multi-gas switch computer.
- Divers certify to use air, nitrox, oxygen and there is a trimix option with a maximum END/EAD of maximum 30 metres.
RAID OC Deco 40 Diver uses 6 Manuals and 6 Quizzes & 1 Exam.
e) Confined Water
f) Open Water
Divers MUST participate in at least one confined water skill session and 5 open water dives.
◦ These dives may credit towards the Deco 50 program.
PLEASE NOTE: THE DECO 40 PROGRAM IS NOT AN ACCELERATED or OPTIMISED DECOMPRESSION PROGRAM
RAID OC Deco 40 Diver PREREQUISITES
The diver must be a minimum of 16 years old and a certified diver for at least 3 months.
They should be a Certified RAID Explorer 30 or RAID Advanced 35 diver or equivalent.
Divers must be certified as RAID Nitrox and RAID Deep 40 diver or equivalent and at least 20 logged hours underwater or 40 dives using open circuit.
We have taken a new approach to the development of all our new technical manuals where the bulk of the information is contained in the entry level programs, and then as divers progress, they are presented with only the information needed to make that progression.Therefore, the Deco 40 and 50 manuals vary only slightly since divers can enter at either the Deco 40 or 50 level, depending upon their experience, certification level and personal desire.
RAID OC Deco 40 Diver